Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Fruit or Vegetable?

Let's play a game!  It's called fruit or vegetable.  I'll write the name of the produce, and you take a guess!  Ready?

1.  Tomato
2. Cucumber
3. Spinach
4. Squash
5. Potatoes
6. Avacado
7. Beans
8. Corn Kernels
9. Olive Peppers
10.  Peapods
11. Sunflower Seeds
12. Nuts
13. Grains
14. Pumpkin
15. Cauliflower

Got your answers ready? 

Would it surprise you to know that only three of these are technically speaking vegetables? It surprised me!  If I'm being honest, I never knew that nuts, grains, seeds and beans were actually fruits!  Want to know which ones are vegetables?  Spinach, potatoes and cauliflower! 

A fruit is "technically" any part of a plant that develops from a flower. The rest of the plant is a vegetable.

I'm just posting this because I thought it was interesting.  When you are trying to eat a balanced diet, do not count avocados, seeds, nuts and grains as your fruit servings.  I count them as a separate category ( category for grains and another for healthy fats etc.). 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment